Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Springers on a fly. Post your 2011 pics. I will if you will  (Read 19392 times)
camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »

They are the coolest creatures and are far between.  Unless you find a pod of them.  I'm planning an estuary recon mission soon but was wondering if anyone has targeted springers yet with luck.  PLEASE don't tell me where you caught it.  I don't want us to be that kind of place.

JM

mojo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »

deal. still getting ready and hoping this might be my year. not that i even have a real clue how to swing for them.

steelheadonthespey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

Great ties Miguel! I wish I was tying flies for Springers in OR but my flies are probably going to have to wait until I leave for AK in June! Good luck out there, will be anxious to see some pics!

JH

mojo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:19:09 PM »

Great ties Miguel! I wish I was tying flies for Springers in OR but my flies are probably going to have to wait until I leave for AK in June! Good luck out there, will be anxious to see some pics!

JH

thanks buddy, have a great trip north. hose em'!

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »

The flows are up this spring and the fish are late...In a month I believe we'll see springers schooling up or passing through the waters we can sink a fly into...until then, I'm busy with SM3 and catching a few on gear in our downtown harbor...Anyone with a fly caught springer yet?  I don't want to know where..

JM

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »

So after great effort, I'm still waiting for a fly caught springer to post....I've caught a bunch on gear here in our local metro show, but nothing with a nice bit of color in it's mouth.   

But I know someone who does?   

JM

mojo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

So after great effort, I'm still waiting for a fly caught springer to post....I've caught a bunch on gear here in our local metro show, but nothing with a nice bit of color in it's mouth.   

But I know someone who does?   

JM

i will just say that i saw the grab, the hook set and the ensuing rage being unleashed, flattening out an 11 wt. it was a she-devil fish.
and the dab of bright color? it was beautiful in the corner her mouth...

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »

Word also has it that said "she devil" salmon wrapped the running line around the angler's neck,  slapped the rod against his back numerous times on the first run and promptly broke the tip off of said fly rod... but rumors are just that.  If we're talking about the same fish....

Springers on the fly are a myth.

JM

mojo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »

Word also has it that said "she devil" salmon wrapped the running line around the angler's neck,  slapped the rod against his back numerous times on the first run and promptly broke the tip off of said fly rod... but rumors are just that.  If we're talking about the same fish....

Springers on the fly are a myth.

JM

that was numero uno....mythical indeed. it's strange, lately i can't tell the real from the unreal anymore.

chaveecha
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:18:14 PM »

Hey, sorry I'm late!

The best "springer on the fly" I've heard of in 2011 was on the mainstem Umpqua. A local fellow was anchored in a productive hog line back in April, the bite was on, and he pulled out a single hander with a sinking line and dredged behind his boat. He landed a 36-pounder, which is bigger than any springer I have even caught, even on gear. The fish was entered in the Wells Creek Inn springer derby. The top fish, last time I checked, was still 48 pounds!

Also heard of a guy swinging up a native springer on the Clack back in early April, unconfirmed.

I've put in a ton of time this year, and until last Friday was 0 for 0. Had a rare and spectacular weekend, with friends, and am now 3 for 6. Yes, I keep track. Yes, numbers matter to me, but only in the first half of the season  Tongue

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »

Finally!  Confirmation!   I still want to know how the rod broke while it slapped the back of your head.  That would have been a great photo.
JM

mojo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:36:30 AM »

ice pack is back on the elbow fellas. but after thousands of casts in all kinds of elements my perseverance has paid off. currently i am 1 for 4. lost a big hen last night after a no holds barred contest. had her at my feet when the little fly pulled free....my adrenal glands are feeling tapped out. springers are truly "el rey de reyes", the king of kings.

it took some blind faith and this is the only time i will believe in it.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »

I heard about this fish...I was there Sunday, all day.   Seems when I show up, the fish have already seen everyone's flies and just laugh as they swim past mine...

Nice to see those fatties...

Ibuprofen is awesome!

JM

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »

Finally!  Got the stink off my fly.  Thanks to RR for letting me low hole him all weekend.  The Jack in the middle was the first springer on a fly for a good buddy in the sled with me.  The other two are just where they should be; on ice, ready for the knife:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:50:10 PM by camosled » Logged

bacon_to_fry
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »

hot damn!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print

Jump to: