Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Two-hander trout pics - throw 'em up.  (Read 26276 times)
G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »

Since the latest hot topic seems to be Trout on the Two-hander, let's see some of y'alls trout pics. Here's a few to get it started...

Long way to the nearest gravel bar...balancing act.

Spring topwater fish.

Mind if I fish through?

Leopard on swung flesh.

Big water, Big flies.

zmbrooks

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »

Dang, those there be some nice Trout!  Sweet pic sharing a run with bears!  We have grizzleys out here in the great lakes too.  The only difference is ours have "poles" and snag fish with a rod, not their claws during Salmon Season Grin  But they do stand in the middle of the river no matter the flow.

How the heck do I upload pics here?  Can't seem to figure it out on this forum??

squamish

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:39:33 PM »

Dude not fair when your res trout look like our steelhead, just with out the net scars!

G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »

Those are the little ones, too.

riveraddict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:47:18 AM »

Noice! As George Cook would say! No cooler place in the world for the trout-swinger than AK, except perhaps Kamchatka. Way too cool when trout prefer to eat "meat" (smolt, mice, flesh) over "appetizers" (bugs). Even on streams without large-lake influence, where the fish are thus smaller in size, the "no BS" attitude of AK 'bows puts them in a class of their own. Can't wait to get back!     

G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »

RA-

Yeah, the flesh-rippers have pretty much messed my fishing life up. I still like A-runs, and winter/spring steel still gets my pulse rate up, but nothing makes me hyperventilate like a 30" rainbow. I am going back up this spring for the opener, and will probably find a way to weasel into someone's camp for at least a few days in october to get my fill of huge rainbows chasing meat in class III water.

Here's a few more bombers from last fall - some folks have seen a few of these on other boards, but I figured I would share 'em with the folks that haven't.

Chunky monkey from a little flats bucket that kept on giving.

End-of-the-run Love, 30"x19"

The moose

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:30:45 PM by G_Smolt » Logged

bacon_to_fry
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »

George Cook has a younger brother?

mkskagit

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »

those pics are awesome, but the last two, wow.  i want to go fishing...

ralfish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 02:46:41 AM »

sick, sick, sick, indeed, and now for something completely different:

mkskagit

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:30 AM »

few GL browns....

G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »

Sweet release shot, and cool bullies - I got a bull/dolly addiction myownself.

mojo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

RA-

Yeah, the flesh-rippers have pretty much messed my fishing life up. I still like A-runs, and winter/spring steel still gets my pulse rate up, but nothing makes me hyperventilate like a 30" rainbow. I am going back up this spring for the opener, and will probably find a way to weasel into someone's camp for at least a few days in october to get my fill of huge rainbows chasing meat in class III water.

Here's a few more bombers from last fall - some folks have seen a few of these on other boards, but I figured I would share 'em with the folks that haven't.

Chunky monkey from a little flats bucket that kept on giving.

End-of-the-run Love, 30"x19"

The moose

as residents they look like incredible animals to tangle with. shit man, look at those shoulders..yeah, i am still spewing the "gotta get up there some day and chasing some leopard rainbows" bs as the years roll on. alright, so as a PNW steelheader can you tell me why those big bows make you hyperventilate say, more than a fresh chromer? not sure if you said that but wondering about it. i imagine it has something to do with the setting, the  attitude of the resident fish, if that can be measured, and the ripping grab? oh and the absolute beauty of the strain of species must weigh in heavy. how do they mixed it up as compared to a steelhead, toe to toe instead of long burning runs? both? kinda breathing hard now..

G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:49 AM »

alright, so as a PNW steelheader can you tell me why those big bows make you hyperventilate say, more than a fresh chromer? not sure if you said that but wondering about it. i imagine it has something to do with the setting, the  attitude of the resident fish, if that can be measured, and the ripping grab? oh and the absolute beauty of the strain of species must weigh in heavy. how do they mixed it up as compared to a steelhead, toe to toe instead of long burning runs? both? kinda breathing hard now..

I hope it never comes to this, but if I had to pick one or the other, it would be big-ass 'bows on the swing.

Here's a few reasons...

> Rainbows live there. They ain't on a spawning journey, they are in their house, at their table, feeding. Comparatively little guilt when contrasted with some wild coastal steel system that might only get 50 spawning pairs a year, yet there I am, messin' with their heads after they have been at sea for 3 years.

> Because they are feeding, it doesn't matter if the water is 1° away from slush...they are eating. Large predatory fish on the hunt for calories means savage grabs, the kind that are literally shocking in their violence. I have caught hundreds and hundreds of steelhead on the swing, and thousands by other methods, and the nearest comparison I can make is that the best plug takedown EVER by a big ol' pissed off native buck in the 36" range...is about 3/4 of a regular old 26"-28" 'bow grab. Seriously. Be prepared to wave  goodbye a lot to whatever it is that just hit your shit and started ripping downstream like a snagged freshwater dolphin, because if you go thinking you are going to manhandle 15+ lbs of finely muscled, pissed off wild lake-run 'bow in a 6mph current, you are sadly mistaken.

> Because the places big huge trout live in are the last of the wild places left on earth...Ed mentioned the other (Kamchatka - one day, I will sit at you or Jeff's feet and ply you with booze, just to listen to tales of untouched rivers and fish that have never seen a fly), but aside from there and AK, I'm just not sure there are any places left on earth that we (folks in general) haven't fuzzed up enough as to render them marginal to the larger constituency of this species.

> Because you never know what you are going to get. Dryside steel in october, you are pretty much primed to do business with 6-8 lb fish, with the odd b-run thrown in for good measure. They all grab pretty much the same, with the exception of a few "wet sock" fish as the water gets a little colder...with trout, if it is over 16", odds are your reel is backlashing, your heart jumps out of your chest, and you let out an involuntary, high-pitched sound that manly dudes like Bacon would call " a little girly noise" - yet you still don't know how big this particular fish is. If I had a dime for every foot of line stripped off by sub-22" fish in the heavy currents of the big Bristol Bay rivers, I would be a far richer man than I already am. One of the most memorable of the savage grabs I had last fall was a 24" fish, about 5lbs, that SMOKED me...all of my running line gone in one continuous, oddly bonefish-like grab n go. Shocked me so much I almost fell down. It was all I could do to hold on and not doofus the fish off...but that is what even small to midsized fish are capable of on every swing.

>Because in this day and age, rare is the opportunity to fish for a strain of rainbow trout with ZERO artificial genetic incursion...while this may not be outwardly obvious, it is much the same as ol' Ed Abbey's visions of wilderness - You don't have to see it to know that it is there, and the fact that it is there should be a comfort to your soul.

And THAT, mojo, is why you should deny yourself no more and make the pilgrimage.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:18:51 AM by G_Smolt » Logged

Waskocreek

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »

Nice pics! I'll be sure to post some when I have more time.

2handedtrout.com

regdunlop

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »

A nice Brown that I got swinging a "trout" intruder here in Calgary the other day.

Great forum by the way.  I'm new to the two hander thing so this site is going to help tons.
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:44:14 PM by regdunlop » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print

Jump to: