Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Floating Set Up
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Floating Set Up  (Read 7830 times)
SpeyNick

nicovilleneuve603@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

Hi Guys, My name is Nicolas and I'm sixteen years old and I'm from quebec , I'm new to spey casting and I've decide to specialize in skagit style. I've bought myself a little two hander that is designed especially for skagit lines it's the Pieroway «Whistler Spey» Metal detector 10'5'' 400 grain (±50 grain).

http://pierowayrods.com/PRBlog/metal-detector/

But the fact is that i don't use sinking tips all the times so I would like to know if there is an alternative way to fish with skagit heads without a sinking tip.

Also, I've heard somewhere that the whole fly line set up should be between 2.5 and 3.5 times the lenght of the rod. so I might use a skagit compact around twenty feets longs on my little rod, and and about 10 feet of sinking tip to maintain this ratio. so if i remove the sink tip, the ratio is not the same so what else can i use to maintain this fly line lenght/rod  ratio ?

Regards,

Nicolas.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:33:22 PM by SpeyNick » Logged

Fight To Preserve Wild Fish In Wild Rivers

Fish Tech

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

When I want to fish near the surface with my Skagit compact head I just add a 10 foot polyleader (either a floating or a Intermediate 1.5 ips sink model) to the front of the head.  To the front of the polyleader I add a 4 foot tippet of Maxima ultragreen.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »

...And you can get a MOW floating tip.  They come in 3 weights...light, medium and Heavy, I believe.  Maybe only light and heavy.   Go with the MOW light floater for your 400 grain line.  They're 10 feet long, then add a standard mono leader or a 10 foot poly leader. 

Welcome to the site.

JM

SpeyNick

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »

Thanks I'll check for it, the fact is that those rio products are not availaible in my region. So if I order myself an Airflo skagit compact I'll order myself a few polyleaders with it.

and I'm happy to be there, look like a very cool forum. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:10:13 PM by SpeyNick » Logged

mkskagit

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »

I would say those MOW tips are probably the best way to go, but whats worked for me since I'm cheap and did it before I knew of said MOW tips.
 From years of fly fishing I have collected a few old lines (mostly singlehand), I dont use, one happened to be a clear, floating line, so I used that.  Im not sure of the grains in that old line.  Also not sure if it matters.
 So I just cut off a few feet of the old line at what looked like the thickest section, and thru using it I scaled it back to a good length.  It is only about a foot and half long, looped with nail knots on each end.  That is just the length I found works for me, it's kind of a trial by fire.
 I have fished it off of a 475(30ft) grain skagit head, and a 700(27ft) grain head, both rocked.  Tossing big salty bugs for stripers, handles wind fine.  It will turn over huge foam/deer hair chuggers on a 14ft leader no problem. 
I wasn't looking for delicate turnover, or proper rod ratio when I made the float tip.  My main goal was to create a piece I can easily attach mono too, without taking a toll on the skagit head itself.  The skagit head should be heavy enough to hold the anchor, and tapered properly to give good turnover, so I dont worry about having a long float tip.
 You just have to ease off the power a bit.

Mike

SpeyNick

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »

Well I Think I'll just get a scandi compact head, and a 10' floating polyleader. this is the best and the simplest  way I think. Well if I change my mind I think I'll do what you've just wrote Mike. It looks like a cheap way to get floating tips on skagit heads. Thank You

Regars

Nicolas
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:52:40 PM by SpeyNick » Logged

riveraddict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57:33 PM »

Some Skagit lines that are fairly level in the taper out to the front, can be simply turned around and used "backwards" with either a Polyleader or a standard tapered mono leader of 10' to 12'. The "rear" taper then becomes the "front" "step down" of line mass to the leader. It doesn't work with all Skagit lines, but definitely worth checking out.

squamish

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:33 AM »

Hey if you are in Quebec,  contact Bruno at the Torrent fly shop,  I think he has all the Rio stuff,  and can get it for you if not in stock. 

SpeyNick

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »

Yes I Know who is bruno isabelle, but i think I'll go with an airflo scandi compact, And I'll check for the «convertible skagit heads» thanks

Regards Nicolas

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: