Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Twisted Running Lines...Drive me Nuts!
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twisted Running Lines...Drive me Nuts!  (Read 3957 times)
camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »

Anyone experiencing this strange phenomena?  With some short skagit heads, I watch the running twist up as the head swings out there....Some lines are worse than others.  I think it's the memory in the shooting head; loose coils that turn the head over and over.  Seems to get better when I give the floating head a good stretch.  Also, the factory loops are often so curved that the head is kinked where the shooting line joins, so I cut them off and add a 50 braided mono loop that lays straight.   I have one 44 foot monocore shooting head I use for tidewater chinook, or use to use I should say, because I can't figure out what's causing the line to turn over and over while fishing. 

Anyone?

JM

G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »

I have had that happen, especially in cold water. It seems like sometimes the memory of the head makes a crude Archimedean screw, and that causes the running line twist.

The other thing I have noticed is when using a particular type of tube fly, the placement of the tube relative to the material causes the fly to spin like a madman while you are stripping in to make your next cast. After awhile, the cast does not relieve the twist (some tubes also spin like crazy during the cast), and you start to see your line spinning lazily when the swing comes tight.

The only remedy I have used is to take apart the head / line combination and give the head a good stretching. For the running line, use the old spinner fisherman's technique of letting the river untwist it for you - trail out your entire running line to the backing knot, wait for a few minutes, then reel up. Hold on to the backing knot to make sure that the twist isn't imparted into your backing, and you are in business.

zmbrooks

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »

It's funny you bring this up.  I have been having the same problem with my heavy Skagit heads.  Like 575 and up.  Seems when I fish my 11'7" with a 400 grain belly I have no twisting issues with my mono.  I am also fishing in sub freezing temps.  Could the heavier head really cause this?  Happens nearly every time in really cold weather.   I can't figure it out.  

And yes, stretching is good for the line and running line!

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:25 PM »

Yeah I stretch the shit out of the stuff..makes sense the thicker lines would spin more...more surface area in contact with the drag...I think the kink at the rear junction loop is causing the spin too.  A little curled end that bites and starts the spin.

JM

FK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »

Every cast we make introduces a half twist into the fly line system.

One way to minimize this is to have very little or no running line slack after you shot your line into the cast.  The loose line will accumulate the twists and cause tangles to run down the line.

The second tip is to occassionally let the shooting head and running line hang downstream in the current without a fly.  This will help untwist the line.

Regards,
FK

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: