Pages: [1]
Author Topic: They tagged me : ninja guy  (Read 11241 times)
hyfly

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »

They called me Ninja.
After asking on a French Fishing forum (I live in Quebec) if there were any one fishing Skagit Style so we could exchange tips on our rigs and so on . I was bombarded with negative comments on the way we fished and scared everything around with our water shredding shooting heads and we were a disaster on the fishing row ….blablablabla. I was tagged the Ninja guy. I figured I would not get back on the forum to add to the discussion but not before I gave em  my version of the Ninja insight.

Ninjas are not disciples of in line dancing (fishing in rows on the bank of the river) Ninjas will not disturb you because they are invisible, they fish secluded spots not accessible to uninitiated disciples. Not even a good blood hound could find a real ninja , he does not piss in his waders so as not to loose his place in the waiting line. He leaves no trace , he does not use a chainsaw to remove trees on the river bank to be able to fish. You wont find him in a fly shop because he does not break hooks on rocks nor does he feed birds in trees with his flies. He is not at the local bar when the wind is blowing and the river is high, he is out there fishing with an adapted rig. He catches more fish because he learned that fish don’t fly, he keeps his line in the water instead of trying to catch jumping fish with thousands of false casts. If the fishing is slow, he tries new things and experiments, he has all the time he wants, no one is waiting for him to move on a step downstream. He found the only way to attain immortality; he shares his knowledge with other ninjas.

Hyfly

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »

Join the club....Funny, I cannot find one of the Long-Belly, old school crowd who will go fishing with me.  I believe they will most likely drown after stepping off an underwater basalt ledge on an outside bend while stepping far enough into the river to make room for 30 plus feet of D loop.  But then again, I'm not really looking for company and they probably don't like fishing in a 40 degree drizzle for 6 hours...I think they just call me "that arrogant prick". 

JM

natek

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »

we might not feed the birds, unless they like chicken... but I have on occasion left a bird friend in a tree here or there,  usually on the far bank though...

riveraddict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »

Aaaahhhh... the burden of the Skagit angler is to be the Black Sheep of the flyfishing fraternity. No worries, we catch fish in places and under conditions that the others, "they",  can't. "They" can only focus on what appears to them to be faults of the system... faults that under closer scrutiny, have no merit. "They" complain of our "noisy" casting. "They" say our rather robust white mouse spooks fish, even though it is in fact located very close to our wading position, most often less than a rod length away. "They" seem oblivious to the fact that their "less noisy" anchor occurs OUT THERE, closer to where the fish are actually laying?! "They" complain of how hard our sinktips and flies land, yet disregard the fact that we are casting bigger, heavier flies and sinktips than they can even begin to attempt to manage on the same sized rod setup. From what place of ignorance must one be coming from anyways, to expect a 4" wet flying mop weighted with 14 grains of lead on a 9" per second sinkrated, tungsten impregnated sinktip to enter into the water gently?! Why WOULD you want it to?! No, we want that big-ass monstrosity to slam through the surface tension so's it can begin its submarine search for living chrome as fast as possible. The fact is that Skagit is about FISHING, and that's what WE DO. "They" can dabble their toes into the water for a few minutes here and there and then retire to the local pub to talk about their dainty, pretty flies and dainty, pretty casts. While they are sitting around a table complaining about how unaesthetic Skagit casting is, we'll be in the water making contact with living bars of silver!  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:48:23 PM by riveraddict » Logged

seldom seen smith
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »

love being the black sheep, being a middle child i've bore that cross since day 1.
oh the water the long belly will never fish , this reminds me of skiing  where snowborders think telemark skiing looks funny and weird till we saunter by as they posthole up to there waist  trying to get to fresh that will be totally poached by the time they get to it.
skagit casting is more evolution than revolution and bet we see all fly casters , single or double hand using skagit casts on a very regular basis in the not so distant future. super excited to see where it goes from here!!
i don't think this casting came from nowhere , it is necessity that breeds change and skagit is very necessary!!
people pointed fingers  at darwin too i'm sure.

zmbrooks

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »

Hey Ninja- Good story, happens quite often.  Even on very popular sites.  I'm sure they wanted to burn you at the stake where you are.  Keep on tagging those lonely fish that hide deep.  Thankfully we can take refuge here on skagit master.......

-Zack

hyfly

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 05:06:20 PM »

Thanks guys. Its funny because my original question on that forum was to ask if any other guys were fishing Skagit in order to exchnage infos. The post was seen 1300 + times in 6 days but never had anyone come out to talk about it ,only complaints .Reminds me when i asked if anyone was using tube flies ten years ago. Im 62 years old and started Skagit this summer,sold all my one handers (6 of them) now i fish small streams with a 6 wt switch with one reel mounted traditional and the other with a 23 ft Rio Skagit short head. I fish big rivers with a Loomis Dredger dubbed with a 575 gr rio skagit flight followed by Slickshooter running lines on both rigs.I spent a small fortune getting the right components to work for me since no info is available here. Skagitmaster videos should be banned from the surface of the earth , im broke but loving every minute of it. Im getting as much fun out of shooting these things as catching fish. I live near a river infested with 3 and 4 pounder bass , sending a weedless popper 70 feet into their old out is a real joy. Il probably retire at 85 so il have more time to go fishing.

Hyfly

Pappy

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »

Outstanding.  People see me skagit casting and think I have some kinda disease. 

Great site.  I feel like I've found my place.  Casting dead chickens has become real addicting!  I started about 2 years ago, gave it up to try centerpinning Angry, and know I'm back.  Started casting again in Sep and have not looked back.  Have not caught a fish yet on the swing, but after 6 hours of futility all I want to do is get back on the river again the next day.  I live for weekends.  I'm trying to keep it simple:  3 colors of flies, 1 size and length of leader and just trying to read the water and find fish.  Finding the fish part has been a bummer.  But, I've met some wonderful people, I get outside a  lot (I work in- doors) and this time of year it can be very refreshing.

I'll keep you all abreast of my first chrome on the swing...

Greg Papierz

Pappy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »

My first steel on the swing.  GL river in the fall.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »

That is a beautiful first fish.   

JM

Pappy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »

And it was released to swim another day. Smiley

LookHereJack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »

I can't imagine ever going back to line fishing.  I'm a swinger in my old age.

ozswitch

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:48:46 AM »

What i find stupid is that others would get so hung up on what others, or how others are fishing.
I suppose when u start out fishing them 10fold you can politely tell them to piss off and go winge elsewhere.
Just keep doing what you love to do, heck im the only dude i know over here in oz that skagit casts, couldn't give a good shite if someone else wanted to have a moan, as riveraddict pointed out they see the faults in what skagit casters do (in their minds at least) but never stop to think "hey they might be onto something there".
Be different, bend the "rules" and keep fishing.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »

As fall ramps up here in the PNW, it seems there is a trend with steelheaders who use two handed rods, to gravitate towards bow hunting.  To be more specific, Big game hunting with a long bow or other traditional stick.  Not only do we choose to do things the hard way, but we also like the practice it takes to get good with a tool.  Where I think the disconnect happens with others who choose less practice intensive methods is their desire to do something which requires a passive participation.  To them, trolling spinners from a large boat and socializing with their buddies represents the ritual of fall fishing.  Fine by me.  But they just can't keep their comments to themselves.

My nature has always put me at odds with the mainstream.  I like to do things the hard way.  I like to meet others who choose to do things the hard way.  The rewards are greater, and success doesn't necessarily mean a fish in the box.  Though I do like to eat them salmon....

I've accepted my fate.  It's not elitist to desire practice. I think it just drives some people crazy that their might be a better way, and they are not on that train; leaving them to criticize the outlier rather than ask legitimate questions and learn about the process.

What else are we here for but to experience as much as we can, and then give it all away?  I hope some kid somewhere reads the excellent posts on this forum and thinks, "Man, those guys feel the same way I do about stuff.  I sure want to catch a steelhead with a spey rod..."  Which will of course send that kid down their own path of discovery where they will encounter counter currents of skepticism. But what better way to meet interesting people than to take up a difficult past time, practice like mad, and then cross paths on river banks with others just as obsessed as you?

Yeah, we do it alone, because that's how we roll, but it's always better to share the stories around a fire in the evening with your buddies.  My cold, wet Labrador doesn't say much and sucks at mixing up a good margarita...

JM

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:39:34 PM by camosled » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: