Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
river gut tactics
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: river gut tactics  (Read 163 times)
KiwiSkagit

View Profile Email
« on: September 06, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »

Ok this is a fishing tactics question and one that's bugging the hell out of me, How to fish a particular type water. Here's the situation, 40meter wide river, that has a gravel bar crossing it at 35degs to the bank, 3/4 the width of the river, over this bar the current is flowing from 10inchs to 2ft deep(mid river) behind the bar the channel is between 4-8ft deep. My questions are, with this type of water, are you best to fish it from the bank side, or from the gravel bar? If fishing from the bank side, how do you get you fly through the "fast water" coming over the bar, to the fish resting in the quiet water underneath in the channel running down behind the gravel bar?   So far my best guess is 8ft of t18, 8ft of 15lb mono to a 3/8oz bead head fly, with a 1/8oz split shot 30cm ahead of the fly. Am I doing this right?

JDJones

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:30:24 AM »

I don't see any way to effectively present a fly from the bank side. Were it me, I would look for a way to access the far bank & fish it from there. Barring that, (ha ha pun intended) fish it from the bar.

If you can make a long cast at a shallow angle from well above the bar, putting the fly in the resting water, you may be able to get a decent drift before the fast water over the top of the bar pulls the fly out of the resting water.

Or, target the fish that are staged up just  below the bar, trying to make up their mind which way to go.

A long shot here, but in the right conditions, it works. Put on a large weighted fly that imitates a prey fish, 3ft leader & about 4ft of T-14. Cast it over the bar into the resting water & make a down stream mend. As soon as you get a good downstream bow in the line, sweep the rod upstream, hard & fast! If possible, strip line while doing so. Hang on! The idea is, poor little prey fish realizes it's in trouble & needs to get out of Dodge fast, & that means take advantage of the current & swim down stream (& up over the bar).   Cheesy  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:26:06 AM by JDJones » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: