Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Line management casting with your off-hand?  (Read 353 times)
Dave_Smith

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »

Hi my friends. Thank you in advance for any advice on this. I'm right-handed and new to spey casting, I thought maybe I should just learn to cast with my left arm when needed (because of the wind or obstructions), rather than learning to cast across my body with my right arm. Well, it feels good and fluid, and I like it left-handed, but managing and holding the running line feels weird and my reel winds on the left side, etc. I still like to hold the rod in my right hand while the fly is swinging and while mending, etc, so some of the logistics of trading hands seems awkward. Are these the reasons so many guys have learned to cast across their body rather than switching hands? Should I just learn to cast across my body? Basically, if you had it to do all over again, what would you do, because I'm brand new to all this- this is my chance and THANKYOU

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »

Dave,

Welcome. 

There are two things to try when casting across your body:  rotate the rod in your hand so the reel doesn't hang below the rod, but to the side when you are completing the casting stroke and try holding the running line in your top hand, rather than your bottom hand. I've never learned to cast with my left hand up.  Those who did are grateful.  I hope an ambidextrous member can add to your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7XJKm92Fs8

This clip might help you with the top hand during the cast...Wait for it.

Jeff Mishler

Dave_Smith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »

Dave,

Welcome. 

There are two things to try when casting across your body:  rotate the rod in your hand so the reel doesn't hang below the rod, but to the side when you are completing the casting stroke and try holding the running line in your top hand, rather than your bottom hand. I've never learned to cast with my left hand up.  Those who did are grateful.  I hope an ambidextrous member can add to your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7XJKm92Fs8

This clip might help you with the top hand during the cast...Wait for it.

Jeff Mishler

Thanks and thanks for the vid- very helpful. I think at this point, I'll keep working on both right and left hand up casting and see if it keeps progressing. Hard to even find a place to practice when the rivers are so high. Of course this is the kind of winter we'd have when I get interested in steelhead fishing !

9140 greenie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 03:33:57 AM »

I cast both left and right handed. I carry my loops in the bottom hand: 1st loop I carry with my pinky, 2nd loop with my ring finger etc.. You just have to do it until it feels and comes naturally. I'm fairly proficient casting a switch and short spey left handed, but I recently started casting my 14fter and am running into a lot of problems with the cast and line management. I just have to work the problem.
Tight lines,
Keith

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: