Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Ed Wards Intruder?
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ed Wards Intruder?  (Read 2281 times)
Steely

View Profile Email
« on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:22 AM »

I recently watched the clip of Ed in Skagit Master vol. 1 again and I'm still wondering what that last feather he hackles on to finish the fly. It has great mottling and looks like he dyes them himself, I just can't figure it out.  When that video came out I was just starting to get into two handed fishing and that fly sparked my interet and is the reason I got serious about tying flies.  That fly he tied is so buggy looking I've tried to ammulate it ever since, but can't figure out that feather.  I have some ideas, but thought I would post on here figuring this forum with the correct answer. Anyone have any Ideas?  Pheasant tail? Rhea? Jumbo Guinea? Amherst? Mottle turkey?

Thanks
Jeff

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »

Wild Turkey body feathers or rump patch. What's great about them is that they are quite durable and when you twist the butts in your fingers before you load them in the spinning loop, they separate more easily but do not loose their stiffness.  In fact if you don't twist the butts a bit they remain almost too stiff to spin.  

They are pretty dark on the bird and almost a chocolate brown.  They look nice with orange or olive combinations.  You can die them and if you do, try a dark purple.  They are shiny with a cool iridescence.  You don't need more than a turn or two because the feathers are pretty dense.  I believe Ed just wrapped the actual feather onto the tube.  

JM
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:13:53 PM by camosled » Logged

Steely

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »

Thanks JM, I was hoping you were going to answer this question, since after all you filmed him tying this pattern.  I guess to add to my question, the forward shoulder consist of 1. Spin deer hair 2. Ostrich in a dubbing loop 3. Turkey flat and lastly 4. Dyed purple Turkey body feather/the feather you just explained? 

Thanks
Jeff

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »

The last wrap in front of the turkey feather is purple jumbo guinea. 

Steely

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 02:23:46 AM »

Thanks JM for helping me out

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: