Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Just because it's such a cool fish  (Read 1108 times)
camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »

This fish was exceptional.  Kamchatka Russia, 2000
Angler: Ed Ward

9140 greenie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »

Tell us more!

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:17:47 PM »

Tell us more!

In 2000, I was the camp director and head guide on the Utholok River for the Wild Salmon Center's Kamchatka Steelhead project in western Kamchatka.  The year 2000 represented Ed's first season working with the Wild Salmon Center.  I had been involved since the project began in 1994.  When Ed and I arrived in steelhead camp, it was at the tail end of my effort to head the first guided trout fishing (headwaters to Cedar Lodge) 100KM float trip for the WSC on the Zhupanova River. When our group of anglers arrived at Cedar Lodge, Ed and his buddies were wrapping up their trout season. Ed would be traveling on with me to the Utholok.  There were few days to fish without clients on those trips, but on one of the change-over days, Ed and I spent the day downriver and luckily met a run of fish head on.  This particular fish was the most explosive, out of control steelhead I had ever seen in Russia. After taking the fly, it left the pool, ran 100 yards straight away and then crashed into the far bank so hard that it ended up for a moment, beached, out of the water, flipping and writhing until it slid back into the river and continued it's departure.  Ed's Intruders and his tenacious approach to fishing out produced me and my efforts, 2 to 1.  Ed Ward is truly a predator when he fishes and it is always best if you get to go through the run first.  Behind him, you don't have a chance.

JM

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:34:19 PM by camosled » Logged

9140 greenie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 03:38:17 AM »

Thanks!!!!

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: