Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Recommended skagit head
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recommended skagit head  (Read 2537 times)
Marcelo

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:03:34 PM »

Hello Masters, my name is Marcelo, I am from Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil.
Here in Brazil Spey Cast not much practiced, information about Spey only on the Internet, forum like this.Pesco with single hand a three years and now I want to go for two hands, Skagit, fish in lakes, the fish Tucunarés, Traíras.I ask your help, a Skagit Head for a Spey rod 12.5ft 7wt. AFFTA table recommends a 300grains, all sites I researched, recommend 400/450 grains. My question which is the most indicated.Thank you all!!!
Sorry for the translation, I used Google Translate.

Thank!!!

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »

Marcelo,

Thanks for taking part of our forum.  It is slow here, but there is a wealth of information if you look back through the many years of content.

Regarding your 400/450 grain question.  The flex of the rod has everything to do with which line you choose.  If the rod is a fast action 7 wt, 450 grains might not be enough for a Skagit head if you plan to fish with sink tips.  450 is a good all around weight for the 7 weight.  I have cast 380 grain lines on 7 weight rated rods and the combo was sweet.  If you are just casting a floating line, you can get away with the 400 grain option.  I would look at the OPST Commando lines.  They are super sweet.  Rio offers a range of Skagit style lines for just about any purpose. 

It's hard to know what to recommend when we know so little about the rod. 

Best of luck

Jeff Mishler

Marcelo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »

Hello Master Jeff Mishler. Thank you very much information. Yes, Skagit Master the best in information. Very rich in material for research. I have a Skagit Max 500 grains, I will decrease to 400grains. Poppers and gurglers better a 400grains? Spey rod medium fast action, manufacturer's info.

Hugs!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:15:57 AM by Marcelo » Logged

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »

Whether the line will turn over poppers will depend on the taper of the front end (the tip section you add to the skagit head). If the line has a bullet taper where the front mass is carried down the line to the leader junction then the line should turn those flies over fine. A RIO floating MOW tip is great for turning over big flies. A skagit line without a tip will be very clunky. The best lines for this kind of work are the short scandi lines available. A RAGE by Airflo is nice. And if you find that the line lacks the pop to turn over big flies, just whack a foot or so off the tip and try again.

Best,

JM

Marcelo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:11:49 AM »

Thank you for the help Mr. Jeff.Rio floating mow tip, we have in fly shop here in Brazil.More easy to buy.Rage airflo we do not have in Brazil.Buy in the USA, more difficult, Brazil government tax rate 60% more.

Thanks!!!

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: