Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Line for TCX 7126?
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Line for TCX 7126?  (Read 4739 times)
crazyryan

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »

I know this is an old topic and has been discussed for many many times.....TCX 7126, the legendary Death Star. I have this rod coming and I have done my research on line choices. Still, I have some questions as I am pretty new into spey world and I'd also like to see if there is any better new line.  I will be fishing fresh and saltwater so there would be overhead and spey cast. I have some Outbound Short lines so I have the overhead cast covered, but need new lines for spey cast: 

1. The Rio pdf recommanded 500=550gr Skagit head for this rod. As I am newbie so I thought I'd get the 550gr Skagit Max. However my local store has the 525gr Skagit Max Short Versitip kit on sale which seems a good deal. Should I get the 525gr Skagit Max Short?  Rio stated that the Max Short is for shorter switch rod. The Max is 23' and the Max short is 20' so it is only 3' shorter. What would be the advantage and disadvantage of using the shorter Skagit Max Short on my Death Star?

2. I fished my Z-Axis 6110 and OPST head in saltwater previously and sometimes when I needed to strip back very close, I knew I missed the full line type flyline without the annoying loop to loop connection clicking through the guides. So I am also thinking of getting the Wulff Ambush line for my Death Star. Anyone fish this line on spey rod and any thoughts? How does this compare to the Rio Skagit system? (I have read the little review on flyfishusa)  Thanks.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »

The Death Star is a very familiar stick to me.

A Skagit Short of 20', for a 12 1/2 foot rod is a dream for some.  Because the Death Star is such a brute of a rod, I liked loading it with 500+ grains of line.  A line around 540 grains seemed perfect to me. 

I don't like full length line systems for a steelhead rod.  You won't be stripping the head back through the guides on each cast so the junction isn't an issue.  Give the rod and line about 3 feet of over hang, and go to town. One thing to avoid is trying to learn with too much sink tip.  Start with 10-11' of T-8.  The rod will handle 12 feet of t-14 easily. I use to cast 12 ft of T-17 with no problem.  But learning to cast that tip, for a newcomer, could be frustrating. 

The Death Star likes a lot of bottom hand in the delivery stroke.  Don't get caught pushing with the top hand or your cast will wilt like spaghetti. 

JM

JonT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

550 Rio Skagit Max Short 20'. 10' tips. That's what what mine likes. Yours is probably different, though.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: