Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OPST Line Recommendation for Farlows 11' 7/8  (Read 1208 times)
lowwaterdouble

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »

I recently purchased an unused Farlows 11' 7/8wt Holdfast fiberglass rod, which the seller said was made in 1980 by Sharpes of Aberdeen. OPST recommended a 325 because the rod is made of fiberglass.

I took the rod out this evening for a bit of casting with a light floating MOW tip. i was expecting the rod to load into the butt. To me, the rod felt very much under-loaded. Trying to use more arm power resulted in tailing loops. The rod didn't feel particularly taxed even when casting overhead, in contrast to the three other rods I've cast overhead with Commando lines.

Anybody have a suggestion on the appropriate grain weight Commando head for this rod?

Of course, this isn't a dig at OPST. I'm sure there's only so much they can do when the get a request for a line recommendation for dearly departed Uncle Jedidiah's six-piece telescoping asbestos fiber rod. I'm hoping that somebody here will experience with my rod or a similar older fiberglass rod.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:30:01 AM »

The line might be right.  You won't know until you can form a loop that doesn't tail.  Glass is funny stuff in that you need to slow down and make sure the rod tip travels in a straight path.  When I notice a tailing loop in my forward cast in know that I'm hitting the power stroke too hard, too soon.  Try starting the forward stroke with the top hand, but think about throwing a dart with the top hand in a short but controlled movement and focus on finishing the cast with the bottom hand.  Try popping the butt of the rod into your torso with a good hard pull.  That ensures that that the fastest part of the stroke, is at the end....

JM

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: