Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New to the Art
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New to the Art  (Read 1840 times)
Steel Pursuit

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »

II'm ready to take my steelhead fishing to the next level. I've learned to become a fairly proficient steelhead fisherman with with my spoons, spinners, bobber and jigs and now want to take on a new challenge. I know my way around a fly rod for trout but have never tried using a Spey rod for metalheads. I live in Oregon and have a guide trip in October on the Grande Ronde and want to get my set up(s) and practice time in before my trip. I'm looking for any and all tips, suggestions and resources on rods, reels, lines, set up, articles, etc. I saw the video series and will be checking those out.

Looking forward to your feedback!

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:34:08 AM »

Welcome to the site.

The Grande Ronde is very different in so many ways....

The steelhead rivers of the Oregon coast require specific tactics to produce steelhead regularly.  The GR, that time of year will be a floating line show. 

I suggest you spend as much time learning to cast until you can turn over the entire cast, every time.  When you cast longer leaders with floating lines, its important that you get a full turnover.  With sink tips, if the line does not turn over completely, you can get some pretty nasty tangles and the end of your line.

The videos in the Skagit Master library,  SM1-4 will help you see what is possible with a two handed rod. 

Good Luck.

Jeff Mishler

Rick J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »

Where in Oregon are you located?

I you asked someone to design the perfect steelhead river for flyfishing I think he would come up with the GR!! A truly amazing stretch of gorgeous water in an absolutely stunning setting!!!!

Who is your trip with - Speywater? If so you can't do better than these folks for knowledge with a 2-hander!! 

Agree with Jeff on his thoughts. The short head systems are by far the easiest to become proficient in - Skagit and or scandi and using sustained anchor techniques is also the easiest to master and this is where I would concentrate on. I agree that floating tips are typically good this time of year but I would also be proficient at tossing MOW tips.

The fish are typically on the small side - less than 10# and often closer to 5-6# - My go too rods on that river are a 12' 2/3 wt anglers roost, Gary Anderson's 12' 4 wt and a converted 10' 7 wt single hander (old fisher blank). These light rods are ideal for much of the water I fish during the summer and fall but are definitely not the best option for winter. If you are looking to buy just one rod as an all around rod I would likely opt for a 6 wt especially if most of your fishing is summer/fall. If mainly winter fishing I might step up to a 7 wt.

In terms of a line system I think I would go with a Skagit system - I am partial to the RIO MAX or more typically the MAX Shorts along with a few of the MOWs - a floater, 5x5 and 7.5x2.5 are most useful. For deeper stuff - get a spool of T material - probably T11 and make a 10' and 12' tip.

Good luck on your venture
Best
Rick

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: