Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Anchor Placement
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anchor Placement  (Read 2741 times)
justswingman

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:29:04 AM »

For a Skagit cast is the anchor point (where you visually try to place your anchor during the set up) the junction of the skagit head and whatever tip you are using? Or, is the anchor located where your fly lands/settles in the set up?

For example if it is the junction of your head/tip (which is what I have been focusing on), on a river right double spey if you are casting straight across (90degrees), where should you place the anchor? Right in front of you or a little more down stream but well within a rods length of you? I typically (depending on current speed), place the juncture of the head and tip right of me for a river right 90 degree double spey. Sound correct?

Thanks

Rick J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »

with the short Skagit heads I do not think that anchor placement is that critical as you will typically pull the line into alignment during the sweep but I typically think anchor placement should be as you suggest - close to where you want your cast to go - your forward cast should be directed just slightly upstream of where your anchor is. For sure you do not want to aim forward cast downstream of anchor as you can collide

Simon talks about down the railroad track - ie 180 principal. Great way to see this is just do a regular roll cast and try to vary your forward stroke either significantly upstream or downstream of anchor and it does not work well

justswingman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »

Thanks. When you do look at where your anchor is do you consider the anchor to be the junction of the head and tip? If that is correct then  as you as you complete the sweep to the key positon, the junction of the head and sink should swivel and pivot into alignment with your d loop (180 degrees). My feeling is the tip/leader/fly are then pulled into alignment with the anchor point.

Rick J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:45 AM »

Typically that is likely the case - I am watching what I can see during the sweep and it is often the junction but with MOW tips with short sinking sections it may be part of the tip section. However - although that is what I look at to see it turn into alignment that is not always the junction I look at when placing the anchor. I think though it is really subconscious now that I am putting the leader/fly in a position so when finishing the sweep into the D loop they are where I want my forward cast to go.  Anchor placement becomes more critical the longer your sink tip - a 15' T tip is much less likely to pull into alignment than a 10' MOW with a 2' section of sinking T material.

justswingman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »

Thanks. Appreciate the response and explanation. Not much activity on the forum, not sure why. I have enjoyed the postings and responses in the past as participants seem very knowledgeable and helpful.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »

Yes the forum has quieted. I've been very busy printing my book but not sure why the general traffic has slowed. Still the best place to get the his kind of info. Thanks for staying involved

Jeff Mishler

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: