Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Angler's Roost Glass Blank?  (Read 3921 times)
mmckenzie

View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »

I built an ultralight spey a couple years ago on an Angler's Roost 12' 2/3 IM6 blank. It was a great fishing rod that I could use for numerous styles of fishing - swinging, nymphing, chironomid fishing in still waters, it would even throw a normal fly line and you *could* fish dry flies with it. Handled fish upto 18-20 inches very easily. I used both a 200 grain Rio Skagit Max Short and WF #4 standard lines on it.

In a fit of stupidity I broke the rod on a camping trip - I was too lazy to stick it in it's rod tube when I wasn't fishing, and while it was sitting in the back of the truck a box of camping stuff fell on it. Smashed the tip into 4 pieces.

I have not rebuilt or replaced that rod yet - trying to decide if I want to build on the same blank, or try one of their other blanks - specifically their fiberglass switch rod blanks. They have an 11' that they say is a 2/3 weight, and a 10 3/4 weight. I've been on a glass jag of late - something really sweet about the way glass fishes - but I've not used a glass 2 hander yet. For the price of the blank it's almost worth the experiment, but I'm hoping to find some feedback from those who have fished or built on these blanks to see which one I might like more.

i've had 3 two handers - all "trout" rod sizes. My first was an Echo SR1064 4 weight - loved that rod, sold off when I needed cash. Would love to replace it, but I have a really hard time justifying $300.00 for a single rod right now.

My other two handers are/were a Cabela's TLR 11' 6 weight and my home built ARE 2/3 12 footer.  Out of all of them the Echo and the ARE were my favorite casters - the Echo was the first rod that let me cast an entire fly line with normal over head casts. The ARE would throw that 200 grain skagit with a 10' polyleader 60+ feet which is a feat for me, as I suck as a two handed caster.  Grin

I am kind of hoping one of those fiberglass blanks would do well with the existing line I have, but I'm also really jonesing to try out the OPST Commando heads.  My two handed fishing is primarily for trout - rainbows & cutthroat.  I'm also thinking of building a 6 weight 9 foot single handed blank up into a microspey. Watching the OPST guys youtube videos of them chasing bass and launching casts across the streams with minimal effort I got all jealous - looked super fun. There's some streams I know of that look a lot like the waters featured in that video - good bass water with noooo back cast room.

Richardkl249

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:03 PM »

Just took delivery of a glass Spey from ARE, built by Graywolf. It was the 113/4 but he had to cut it down to 10'.  I lawn cast it with the opst 200 and a polyleader.... Sweet feel.  Could go up
To 225 i think.... I say go for the ARE.
Cheers Richard

mmckenzie

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:59:36 AM »

I was beginning to think this place was abandoned...

I found the info I wanted - for the most part - regarding these blanks thanks to the fiberglass flyrodders and spey pages, as well as getting ahold of Steve Godshall.

I'm going to fix the graphite stick, and probably pick up one of the reworked blanks Mr. Godshall is experimenting on when he's perfected his fixes.

I was basically seeking info on how the ARE fiberglass compared to the ARE graphite - as my 12' graphite is also on an ARE IM6 blank, as well as general info on the blanks.

From what I gathered there are some quirks to the blanks - naturally - but brittle tips and spigots that needed a bit of reworking kept coming up.

Is it normal for this place to be so dead, or is it because everyone is just out chasing steelhead right now?

Rick J

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 11:02:48 AM »

it is not seeing much action for sure but still a great site.

I have the 12' 2/3 but not sure if it is the IM6? My blank cost $29 not the more expensive blank and is one of my favorite sticks. It can take a very wide range of grains due to the progressive action - I like it with  a250 to 275 Skagit but have thrown up to a 330 Rage and it does it easily. Have landed steelhead to 10# with no problem - it is my go to rod on the Klamath, Trinity and Grande Ronde

mmckenzie

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:47:19 AM »

it is not seeing much action for sure but still a great site.

I have the 12' 2/3 but not sure if it is the IM6? My blank cost $29 not the more expensive blank and is one of my favorite sticks. It can take a very wide range of grains due to the progressive action - I like it with  a250 to 275 Skagit but have thrown up to a 330 Rage and it does it easily. Have landed steelhead to 10# with no problem - it is my go to rod on the Klamath, Trinity and Grande Ronde

That would be the IM6 blank. They have an "ultra high modulus" version that's $79.00 - guessing it's a blend of IM7/8 depending on section? That's just a guess though, and partly based on the price point.

It sounds like you prefer a heavier line on yours than I fish on mine. I wouldn't mind a 225 grain 20-22 foot head to try out but I'm pretty pleased with the 200 grain Skagit max short line for swinging purposes. I really like the action these blanks have - I need a heavier rod for steelhead and might just build up one of their 7/8 13 footers - that blank is only $39 - worth the money to try.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: