Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
opst lazer line weight
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: opst lazer line weight  (Read 5653 times)
Fishingabomb2006

View Profile Email
« on: October 01, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »

upgrading my running line, currently have a 400grain skagit head on the .026 connect core, looking to upgrade (since the connect core is only rated at 15lb)
was debating between 35 and 40lb, any educated suggestions?

The spey journey begins! spring 2015

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »

40 lb is pretty beefy for 400 grains.  But I am not familiar with the Lazer line.  I imagine that it's small diameter for its strength.  If its cold, I like thicker running line.  Warm, not so important....

buy both

JM

Fishingabomb2006

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 06:46:33 PM »

diameters for the 35 and 40 lb are .019 and .020 respectively

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:19:14 PM »

The most important property for running lines, for me anyways, is the stiffness. That equates to slickness, shoot-ability, etc.

I'm sure those products are amazing. I can't really make an educated guess however.

JM

charholio

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:54:34 AM »

If it were me, I'd go with the 35 as it's much stronger than what you've been using.  I've used both.  It's probably about a wash as far as the advantages of 35 or 40 and vice verse.  You could probably drop down to 30 and you'd still be stronger, but the diameter advantage between 30 and 40 would be a little more noticeable.  Diameters from the OPST website are below.
http://www.opskagit.com/images/u10779-14.png

Fishingabomb2006

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »

bought the 35lb, its ok, twisting issues at the moment but working on that, i hope i can fix the issue soon or might move on to another brand of mono running line
ordered the spey swivels and am sure to stretch the line before a fish plus giving it a tug as i strip it off the spool while fishing

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »

The twisting issue is not a running line issue. 

Twisting is caused by:

--Coils remaining in shooting head from storage
--Core of shooting head is not centered causing the head to flop during the swing
--Casting off one shoulder repeatedly, using the same cast.
--A large fly spinning in the water.  This is due to heavy palmered hackle or a wrapped hook in the tail material or other fly construction issues.

The ratio of running line diameter to shooting head diameter can make matters worse.  As the fly line gets fatter and the running line gets thinner, the running line loses torsional rigidity.

It is important to stretch your shooting head too before casting.

Swivels may keep your running line from twisting up, but it doesn't fix the spinning problem.

JM

Fishingabomb2006

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »

no issues prior to the change in running lines trying to swivel/stretch option and see how that goes

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: