Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lighter head working better?
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lighter head working better?  (Read 3073 times)
rjb222

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »

Ok this is a good thing for me but my natural curiosity is working overtime. My usual head is a 600 grain and I thought it was the real deal for a couple years now. It cracked in a couple places and I decided to take it off and weld it back together before ruining the line. To salvage my day I put on a 560 Skagit head someone gave me they did not like and I had not taken out of my bag ( thank goodness). I put on this head it seems to turn over the flies better and I hit the reel line straight out every cast. With the 600 my line lays out straight but it is not tight when it hits the water and the loops are much bigger I never hit the reel before the line starts to lay out n the water. I feel the rod load better with the 600 but cast the 560 so much better. I am just curious as to what the reasons for this would be. Thanks.

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »

It's hard to answer the why part unless these things are known:

length and line weight of rod
length and weight of sink tip
size of fly
length of leader
How far are you trying to cast?

Typically, the heavier head will deliver a heavier payload, but the loop will suffer.  Lazer loops aren't necessarily the best when casting heavy flies.  If you are casting small flies and light sink tips, Lazer loops aren't an issue.

If your cast is turning over completely with the least amount of effort, then you're there.  The balance point with each set up varies from caster to caster.  It's called grain window.

Open loops with 600 grains sounds like you are casting a 7 weight rod. 

JM

rjb222

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:04:30 PM »

The rod is a R.B.Meiser S2H136FES79-4 The 600 grain head is from Steve Godshall a custom cut head from when I bought the rod 32 ft rings a bell. The 560 is a airflow Skagit about the same length chucking with both lines T14 15 ft. Not real heavy flies but Size 3 Daiichi 2051 spey style flies 

rjb222

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »

Ok the rest of the information. I went out to the same spot last night. I was 5 full pulls to my first loop it was as long as my rod. Second loop was 4 full pulls. third was one pull just to get the right  1 foot past the tip with the head. leader is about 3.5 feet. T-14 fifteen feet. I think it is the diameter of the head as Steve's head is very thick and very supple the air flow is smaller in diameter and harder material. I laid the heads out beside each other on the floor at home Steve's head is about a foot Smiley shorter than the airflow. with the distance casting it gives mw almost a perfect 45 degree cast to the bank on the other side of the river where there is a deeper trench I am fishing. Smiley

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »

The taper of those lines is different, I suppose.  The 560 Gr. Airlfo line must be the peach colored head from years ago that Ed Ward designed.  The Airflow Skagit compact head is 540 or 570 grains.  Not 560.  It could also be the Speydicator by airflo.  Very different line altogether, designed with a long back taper for mending the strike indicator after the cast.   The 600 gr line is unfamiliar to me.

15 feet of t-14 is a long tip if you plan to jack heavy flies, i.e. harder to cast.

Not sure what your expectations are.  With a light size 3 spey fly, both of those lines will cast to the moon.  If you're having trouble with a specific line, focus on finishing your cast with the bottom hand pulling hard to stop the tip abruptly. 

Open loops are a result of the top hand pushing over the top without a crisp finish, the rod tip travels above a line parallel to the water.  Tight loops are a result of straight rod tip travel and an abrupt stop at the end of the stroke.  Without seeing your cast, it's very hard to say what's happening.

JM

rjb222

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:29:19 PM »

Reason for the 15 ft t14 is this is a narrow short slot with slower  water so  the t14 gets the fly down where it needs to be also why in this place I am fishing a #3 not a heavy weighted fly as they tend to hang up and you loose them here.  It is the set up for this particular section of river that I like to use. The 560 is like you
described it is a Skagit not a dictator. The Godshal line goes out straight then it lands much gentler on the surface. I am not having a problem with either line I am surprised how much authority the 560 hits the end of the cast with It must be the taper I guess. I am not trying for laser loops that part does not matter to me as long as I am getting the job done.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: