Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
materials/function primer for fly tying
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: materials/function primer for fly tying  (Read 8785 times)
Django

View Profile Email
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

Hey there -- beginning fly fisherman here.
I've been tying flies off and on for perhaps a year now, mostly following YouTube videos and learning from books.  I've also had a buddy show me some things.  I realized, though, that I'm not thinking about these flies in terms of the actual function of the various materials/techniques I'm using.  Instead, I'm just kind of following the "recipe" for each, and comparing what I come up with with a photo of the finished product. 
I was reading Trey Combs' "Steelhead Fly Fishing", and though a lot of it went over my head, I was really intrigued and inspired by how well thought out the flies were and how much attention was paid to the function of the components to create a specific result.  I find that I do better learning new things when I know why I'm doing them! 
Does anyone have a good resource they'd recommend to help get me moving in this direction?  Books, videos, witch doctors, what have you --  Thanks in advance. 

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »

Here's what I got:

http://skagitmaster.com/?p=1314
http://skagitmaster.com/?p=1293
http://skagitmaster.com/?p=477
http://skagitmaster.com/?p=275
http://skagitmaster.com/?p=202

And look back through this thread...Lots of great info there.

Have fun.   Keep them more sparse than full.  Transparent and alive....

JM

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:48:28 PM by camosled » Logged

Django

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »

Awesome writing and really informative as well.  Thanks Jeff!
Pete Krebs

klickfix

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »

When it comes to tying more modern steelhead flies vs. your traditional hair wing patterns I try to think about getting body without bulk.  What I mean by this is tying your flies so that when the fly is fished under tension it does not turn into a thin little snake, however not using so much material that you can not get it to sink.  Learn to use a dubbing loop for lots of different materials other than just dubbing.  I use allot of fin coon and other types of hair to create an under body to my fly and then maybe a sparse wrap or to of marabou to help create movement.  When I do a dubbing loop of hair I leave some of the butt ends sticking out one side of the loop to help create that structure/collar to the fly.  You can mess around with different materials and see what you like and how little you can get away with using to create the look that you want.

Django

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »

Great advice as well -- thank you!  I'll post a photo or two of some recent bugs and hopefully get some feedback.  Again, fantastic site -- really appreciate the help and the community here.  PK

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »

PK??? THE Pete Krebs???

You're a music legend in this town!!!  It's a privilege.  Thanks for taking part. 

I bought a Les Paul knock off some time ago after our mutual buddy, D.G. suggested I find a Tele, at your suggestion...Couldn't find a decent one without spending a ton.  I still suck.

Okay, back to the flies.   

We should fish together this winter.   I'll post some of my latest ties soon.   

JM

G_Smolt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Awesome. I used to love listening to your band and watchin Fred get all...Fred.

Brady and I shared some mutual friends in Seattle and we used to connect occasionally back in the old days (the 90's).

Re: flies...a small fishbowl is your friend. There are a lot of materials and techniques that look really good when dry but "underperform" when swimming. Best bet is to wrap some fur n feathers on a hook and swim it around in a bowl to get an idea of what your material and technique choices look like underwater, then build on that experience.
I use the bathtub for most stuff, but I occasionally have to explain to my wife that I am not really kooky - it just looks that way.

MH

Django

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

Yup, guilty as charged.  Thanks for the kind words Jeff and MH -- I'm a huge fan of the first Skagit Master DVD, so we have a mutual appreciation society going on!  Inspired to our buddy DG, I woke up one morning about 2 years ago and decided that I wanted to learn to fish.  He patiently tried to teach me to spey cast and tie flies and put me into my first couple of steelhead on the Clack, pulling plugs.  A bout with cancer a year ago helped me get my priorities straight and now I'm a beginner obsessed with fly fishing for steelhead. I don't know what happened, but it's pretty all I can think about.  I'm sure you guys can relate. 
My goal this year is to catch my first steelhead on a fly rod using one of my own flies.  Though that might not happen, I'm just completely stoked to have the opportunity to learn how to do this. 
I'd love to get out fishing this winter and pick some guitars with you Jeff!  Let's make that happen. 
MH -- thanks for the suggestion.  I'll pick up a fishbowl at Goodwill and make a full explanation to the wife as to what I'm doing.  Don't know if you're still in touch with Brady, but he's living in NYC and is doing really well.
Have a great weekend you guys.  PK

JDJones

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

I'll pick up a fishbowl at Goodwill and make a full explanation to the wife as to what I'm doing.  PK

Keep an eye peeled for used aquarium's. They don't show up very often, but when they do, they can usually be had for cheap.

Rick J

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »

Fishbowl hell!!! Go out and invest in one of those "Endless Pools" - they are only around $20,000!!! That way you get current to see how your fly reacts! Grin

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: