Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
French style
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French style  (Read 11424 times)
beers2men

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »

Jerry French has some great videos on vimeo of him tying his intruder. link: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/intruder  Its for rent or purchase, and well worth it. It helped me step my game way up.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:23:46 PM by beers2men » Logged

Beer me

charholio

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:33:34 AM »

His Dirty Hoh tying video is also available on vimeo.  I must say, the Olympic Peninsula Spey Tactics (moderators, don't know if I'm allowed to say that; if not, moderate :-))  ostrich is pretty good stuff. 

beers2men

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »

I have to agree. It is quality stuff... I ruined myself.... bought some now I dont want anything else

Beer me

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:42 PM »

Back when I was filming SM1, Jerry, Ed and I rented a small cabin at the bunny farm up on the Skagit and at one point, they pulled out the old stuff; some of the early intruders.  I picked one that was made from custom orange dubbing and palmered with an ultra long Ostrich feather.  The fly was much larger than anything I wanted to fish, but it looked like a piece of free swimming ocean food.  I keep it with my fly tying stuff and pull it out, along with an  Intruder of Ed's, when I need to tell myself, "I don't need to go that big".

Those two flies are part of fly tying history.  

JM

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:59:26 PM by camosled » Logged

FutureWaterfowler20

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »

Both of jerry's videos are awesome. I can definitely see myself tying some intruders in that manner. it is genius to use turkey flats and primaries for collars. I really like the hair spun collar right now. But I will be tying some of those in jerry's manner. Does anyone know what hook he cuts in the beginning of the intruder video? I am looking for a extremely long streamer hook to buy and cut. Something that is somewhat strong too.

Rick J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »

I believe that Jerry and his group will be introducing pre-cut shanks soon but you might just go to a shop that carries bass stuff - you can get a number of big heavy wire hooks (up to 4/0 or so) that bass guys use to thread rubber worms and things - I have been using these for a number of years and they work great

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »

Mustad 36890 2/0 salmon/steelhead fly hook; straightened with pliers then point removed and stone ground smooth.  

The Mustad works because its soft steel and can be straightened.

Personally, I make mine from Malin stainless steel Saltwater leader material.  Cheap and easy to shape.
http://www.malinco.com/fishing-hardwire.html
I use the stuff around .050.

JM
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:03:34 PM by camosled » Logged

FutureWaterfowler20

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »

Hey so I have been messing around with using ice dub in the loop. I was tying on of Mr. French's dirty hoh flies. I don't know if it was just me have way to much static cling on me and my tying table, but damn I couldn't keep the stuff off me. I am used to using ice dub strictly to dub bodies of flies and have never put it in a loop until now! does anyone else have a cure to reduce the amount of static cling when working with ice dub. Also I could not for the life of me find a nice way to even out the fibers and create nice even patches of ice dub to use in the composite loop. I have never had a problem stacking goat blends or seal blends but ice dub is a whole different animal!

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »

View the clips I produced in the membership section.  They are on the right side of the page called "Finer Points".  The clip is called "Tying a Flash Collar"...I show you how to dub Ice Dub in a loop...I accidently called it fish hair.  The stuff I was using is called angel hair.  Same stuff.   The key is to spread it out before you spin it and keep the fibers short...Too long and they pile up into a ball.

JM

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:29:22 AM by camosled » Logged

beers2men

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:19:24 PM »

I dont know how cold it is where you are but around here the static charge has been insane. Maybe you could try rubbing yourself and tying area down with a dryer sheet haha. I haven't had to much problem with static and ice dub so maybe its just the arctic vortex messing with ya. I find it easier to spread the ice dub in the loop after ive pulled it between my fingers so the fibers are kind of all aligned. What is the length of the fibers in the dubbing you have because ive had ice dub from 3/8" to 1"-1.5" long... not in the same bag but same brand just different color. The longer stuff is definitely harder to work with.

Beer me

FutureWaterfowler20

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:19:12 AM »

Yeah same here. My buddy Donnie and I have been messing with this a little bit now. I have seen jerry's videos when they first went up. But not all ice dub is the same! but I am now realizing that less is more and after watching jerry it seems like he is using a lot of material but it is stacked nearly perfectly and less is more! but I am definitely going to try the dyer sheet trick!

charholio

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:26:01 AM »

I have had the video for some time, but I finally got around to tying a couple variations on the dirty hoh.  I didn't have barred blue rabbit strips and used plain purple ones.  I also didn't have the same dubbing he did but used what I had that was comparable.  The flies were overdressed for sure, and my shanks were too long even though I was trying to pay attention to the video.  As such my flies turned out to be 4" long.  I don't have jungle cock either so skipped that step.  However, as crappy as I thought they looked in the vise, they did look good in the water and I had a 10 lb (give or take) buck crush one today.  Creepy little dirty hoh.   Smiley

FutureWaterfowler20

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

That fly like vibrates in the water like no fly I have ever seen. kinda reminded me of a crank in frequency of the vibration! (something tells me that has a lot to do with why it is so effective!)

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: