Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Another Chapter in the life of Tyler Corke
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Chapter in the life of Tyler Corke  (Read 4725 times)
camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »

Tyler Corke
Chapter 10
Jeff Mishler

Tyler Corke thinks bowhunting is a waste of time.   “Sliver Slingers” he grumbles “Just wounding animals”.  When we discuss hunting in steelhead camp, I try to hold my archery successes close to my chest.  The tightly wound Tyler attacks without provocation, like a frantic yellow jacket in September finding protein in a harsh environment not long from a six month six foot burial of the cold white stuff.  

I find many parallels between bowhunters and steelhead bums.   Both parties, basically like to do things the hard way and could care less what others think about their lifestyles.   Both parties balance their equipment to minimize effort and increase effectiveness.   The steelheader tweaks his lines and flies until a certain line of x number of grains per foot is used to cast the largest fly in the box effortlessly behind the heaviest sink tip, meaning smaller flies fly behind the tightest loops, into the strongest winds.   Mass moves mass.  

The bow hunter balances his bow and arrow combination by settling into a particular draw weight of pull and then selects an arrow of exact grains per inch, wall thickness, shaft length and total weight to shoot a thousand times into foam targets to perfect their shooting form in preparation for one good shot.    A month or so before the season starts, they add a razor sharp, multi bladed broadhead to the balance equation and make final tweaks in form and bow tune to shoot flat, wickedly fast arrows into targets 40 plus yards away.  A perfectly tuned compound bow drive arrow after arrow into the same mark.  The perfectly tuned shooter never shoots at the same spot twice with consecutive arrows because the collision of razor blades and fletchings result in a minimum half hour repair, if you're lucky.   In most cases, the ten dollar arrow and ten dollar broadhead destroyed in the collision turn practicing with broadheads into a pricey venture.  I shoot one arrow at a time at the target because after all, I only get one shot.  

The bowhunters who choose to hunt with handmade Long bows or Recurves and handmade arrows are in a class by themselves.   They must get within 20 yards consistently to make clean kills.  

Steelheaders who fish with cane spey rods might pair well with these spiritually evolved but  technically hamstrung characters.  But then again, casting cane only requires one to slow down, feel the rod and adapt to the river conditions.   Hunting with traditional gear defies a modern day mantra of faster, better, sooner, now.  To blast back to past hunting practices, or stay rooted in those techniques I guess, is real salt of the earth stuff.   At the extreme end of that spectrum are the bowhunters who craft hunting points from flint, shave their arrows from cedar, fasten those points to the shaft with strands of  twisted gut, and form their bows from thinly milled strips of locally harvested or exotic hardwoods in homemade jigs drilled into their work bench.  I love tying flies and I can see the appeal, but the time I dedicate to my passions spreads me rather thin from month to month and I don't see handmade longbows in my future.  

All of this is lost on Tyler.   Fly rods of the highest modulus, single handed or two, are all he's interested in.  Line speed drives narrow loops the farthest.  When we work through a run, he's the sports car.  I'm the Cadillac.  Fortunately, we have found a way to share the road.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:42:04 AM by camosled » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: