Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Get the lead OUT
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Get the lead OUT  (Read 3749 times)
SnapT

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »

How is it that we have become conscious about lead weight in our flies, but its still considered acceptable to drop a 50 lb lead anchor in the river for a few hours, then run the risk of breaking one off and it staying there forever? A lead split shot weighs possibly 1/4 of an ounce on average....that equates to 3200 split shot in the river for every anchor.... Angry Huh
rant over

-Travis

Jelly Roll

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »

Good point,  I don't think I could afford a tungsten anchor. Sounds like a problem for RR to solve.

SnapT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »

There are some good steel anchors out there, a tad more expensive and a little more bulk, but they are very effective, also coated anchors help.

Jelly Roll

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »

I didn't know about the steel or coated anchors, do you know who sells them?

bacon_to_fry
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »

http://www.flyfishusa.com/pontoon/pontoon-accessories/anchor/anchor.html

chaveecha
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »

Yeeesh. I'm feeling very guilty right now. I cannot remember just how many 30- to 50-pound lead anchors I have left in Tillamook rip-rap. A dozen or more? I like 'em real heavy, and I keep one on either end of my watercraft.

Probably the best alternative I've seen is a big pile of steel chain. And they do a lot less damage to gravel beds, as well.

Talk is cheap, I know, and I have never made a move to improve on this front. Partly cuz I worry that the chain won't cut it, and mostly because I'm a lazy hypocrite.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: