Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/skagdvd/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Monkey off the Back
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Monkey off the Back  (Read 5647 times)
Phil Fravel

View Profile Email
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »

I had been fishing spey fishing for 6 years now.  For some reason  the Cowlets had been kicking my A$$..  I know it is a fish factory but for some reason just could not get one to hand there. 

camosled
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

Two toned silver bar....and an eater too.

Nicely done.

JM

SLSS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »

Worth the wait!

Phil Fravel

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »

Worth the wait!

I guess now it was,  but their were many drives home feeling frustrated.  Over the past 6 years I had fished it somewhere around 80 times.    I would have to give a waver on the first 40 or so trips.  I was still trying to learn how to cast, read water, what tips for what water, fly selection and so on.

By that time I had started finding other rivers that would produce for me.  And I was more than happy to get away from all the Gear guides running up and down Blue creek with 8 guys in there sled.

That river kept calling me back.  All the rivers that contain fish are at least a hour drive from my house.  I liked the size of the Cowlets.  It was easy to wade and get away from the shoreline.   I had also seen the size of the fish in the "B" run.  I finally hired a guide at Lost creek fly shop.  He was so determined to get me into one he said I could fish for free till I got one.  I rememberer replying Thanks but no thanks,  Your family will go hungry.   Mike Had helped me out a ton.  It is his picture, In the post.  I think he was Just as excited as I was when he netted the fish.

Ill just throw a thanks out to all those Guides and people who go out there day after day.  Good flows ,bad flows,  frozen hands and toes.  With good and crappy casters and try to teach us how to catch fish.  All Jobs become work, on some days.

skagit mist

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:31 AM »

Wild or hatch??? bleeder...

Northwest winters make steelhead chrome that much brighter

pirate

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »

Really nice fish! Congratulations on your first one... He looks tasty!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:15:17 PM by pirate » Logged

danimal

inglorious twohander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:06:30 PM »

Looks like a chrome bumper off of a 62 ford.. Congrats!!....

It feels great!! I kno....I had the most UNBELIEVABLE fall here in the midwest..

Last 11 trips since xmas tho- N not a bump.. Back to reality I guess..

Phil Fravel

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »

Wild or hatch??? bleeder...

Definitely a Hatchery.  I believe that the Cowlets is 99.9% hatchery.    Besides who would put up a picture of a wild bleeder???  What  hell that would be Grin
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:34:31 PM by Phil Fravel » Logged

skagit mist

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »

Sorry, didn't know that the river is polluted with hatcheries. I live north of the border, big mix of both up here.

Northwest winters make steelhead chrome that much brighter

Phil Fravel

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »

No biggie... tight lines to ya

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: